Monday, March 19, 2012

A dark day

This past weekend marked race numbers 4 and 5, again at the Bethel CT Spring Series.  Despite the beautiful day, it turned out to be anything but.  The 3/4 race got under way like normal with our team defending the yellow jersey being worn by Darius.  I was coming off two weeks of being sick (some sort of nasty head/chest cold that's going around the NE) and was unsure of how I'd ride.  As the race got underway, I rode conservatively but always stayed near the front on the inside, my favorite place to be.  There was more wind this weekend making it a little tougher toward the front.  Darius stayed hidden in the peloton while Etsu, Josh, and I tended to things at the front, always keeping an eye on Darius' rivals.  Turns out I was feeling reasonable and started engaging in the race, running down a few attacks and sitting on.  Hey, I have a yellow jersey to defend...can't let a serious threat go away.  As we wound down the laps, we were coming around the back stretch and there it was, that horrendous sound of a crash.  It happened about 3-4 bike lengths behind me on the other side the best I could tell.  I immediately pulled far right into the wind and clear of the peloton and started looking for Darius and other teammates.  Shortly there after, Darius came rolling up.  At first the race resumed normal and went neutral as we passed the crash site.  There was still one rider down but I don't think anyone thought too much of it just yet.  We kept pace with no one seemingly sure what to do.  The second time past the crash neutral, there was still a rider down and he hadn't moved an inch.  I was still in the front 3 or 4 and we just rode easy and never resumed racing.  Heading down the hill, Etsu (our director) rolled up and suggest we formally go neutral to which we all agreed.  Right after that, two guys rolled up questioning why we weren't racing and which official had neutralized the race which they argued was still on.  That was all it took and the front of the peloton collectively went off on them and they quickly folded under the pressure.  We rolled by once more and the rider was still motionless.  As we crested the hill the officials stopped the race and told us to sit in the corner of the parking lot.  It was a surreal atmosphere with everyone fearing the worst.  A while later the ambulance rolled away and we heard he was still unconscious but had a pulse, everyone hoping for the best.  After a short delay, they lined up the 1/2/3 race and we all had to get our heads back into the game.

At this point of the story, the 1/2/3 race doesn't really matter anymore.  Late this morning, we learned that the guy passed away from head injuries.  Needless to say, the racing community here is in a state of shock and I know of several teammates taking long solo rides to think things through.  Actually, one of those would probably be quite therapeutic right about now.

Regardless, the real reason I wrote this post it twofold.  First, shit can happen...and sometimes it is bad shit.  We spend hours in the saddle and a moment's inattention can be all it takes.  Never take your safety for granted and always pay attention to what is going on.  Second, when the accident happened yesterday, they only had one "In Case of Emergency" number that turned out to be an ex-wife.  For whatever reason, she wanted nothing to do with the situation.  It turns out the guy was from Germany and the rest of his family was in Germany.  None of his teammates had any contact information available.  We never like to think it can happen to us or someone we know...but it in fact can happen.  Luckily it rarely has an outcome this devastating.  But what would you do?  Do you know where to find emergency contact info for fellow riders while on a ride?  Is their/your phone locked with a password?  Where do you keep your information?  Would someone know where to find it?  What if you are riding alone or on the trails?  Does anyone know where you went or when to expect you home?  Personally, I've always been a believer in Road ID, especially after getting stoned in the park.  We are selfish enough with the hours we spend in the saddle for our pleasure, there's no need to be any more selfish and not think of loved ones...just in case.

For the better part of my life, I've lived life on my terms.  Many memories still plaster my face with a big smile, thinking of great times gone by.  I don't intend to change living life on my terms now at my old age haha.  There are simply too many great experiences waiting out there.  So tomorrow, just like today, I'll strap on my shoes and helmet and saddle up.  Just be smart, stay safe, and enjoy the ride...because this little ride we call life is a precious commodity.

1 comment: